Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Reflection of Rhetorical Analysis

When I started planning and writing my rhetorical analysis, I had a hard time because I was not familiar with the type of paper we had to write. In high school, the writing assignments that I was mostly assigned were persuasive essays and research papers. I was not familiar with ethos, pathos, and logos. So as I was reading Cro-Magnon Karma: One Dude and his Body Image Issues, I wasn't sure at first what kind of appeals Godsey used in his essay or even what to look for in the text. I read the text over and over and took down lots of notes on the text. I went to the Writing Resource Center and they were a great help! My tutor helped me to understand each appeal. In addition, the activities done in class and the assigned readings were also of great help. I especially thought the most challenging was when we had to read "Passing Before Life's Very Eyes" and having to analyze the pictures. After having a good understanding of what falls under each appeal, writing the paper was also challenging. I looked over the sample paper in the CILCTE book so I could see how to format and organize my paper. Looking over the sample paper helped me to organize my paper, how to get my paper to flow from one idea to the next. But I think the most challenging part was to find what was stated in the text to support my ideas. Finally, I think most of us had some difficulty with grammar. I know I did, considering how I had a lot of mistakes in my conventions when my rough draft was handed back to me. After going over my paper and fixing up the kinks, it turned out to be a very well written paper. I feel that I've learned a lot from writing this paper. I learned a new type of writing that I've never done before. Also, I feel proud of myself for completing this paper. I did have difficulty at first writing the paper. I didn't think my paper would have been up to standards, but in the end it turned out ok.

No comments: